Poached Pears

My wife went grocery shopping today right after her workout, which is good and bad. It's good because she got a lot of great food, and bad...for our budget. To make a long story short, as I looked over our comestible wealth, I spied a cluster of pears. I recalled having seen an episode of Good Eats where Alton Brown poached pears, but he poached them in a bottle of wine. My family and I neither cook with nor otherwise consume alcohol, making AB's recipe a no-go. Virtually every other recipe I found also poached pears in wine, with one exception of a rather vague recipe I found at cooks.com. I have tweaked the directions a bit to clarify the process.

The pears turned out delicious, by the way!

Poached Pears

Prep
Peel and core pears from blossom end leaving stems intact. Using the smallest spoon you can find may help.

Ingredients
6 ripe Bartlett, Anjou, or Bosc pears
4 cups water
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 egg yolks

Directions
In a pan wide enough to hold all 6 pears, combine water, orange juice and sugar. Bring to boil. Add pears; poach gently 10-15 minutes or until tender. Remove pears and reserve 1/2 cup liquid.

Beat butter with powdered sugar until light. Blend in reserved liquid. Cook and stir over low heat 8-10 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg yolks. Temper yolks by adding a few tablespoons of the sauce to the eggs while stirring constantly. Add a few more tablespoons of sauce to the eggs, still stirring constantly. Add the egg mixture into the remaining sauce and cook for 2-3 more minutes until thick. Serve warm or cold over pears.

Comments

Popular Posts