Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies

One of Kara's new favorite treats is a low(er) carb chocolate chip cookie I make with almond flour. I have adapted my recipe from one I found at The Wannabe Chef. The bones of the recipe are okay, but I've added a few ingredients to add more protein and to make them more moist, and have improved the flow a bit. Oh, and because I'm me, I always double the original recipe and end up with exactly two baker's dozen.

I'm betting you don't have flaxseed meal hanging out in your pantry. I picked up a 1 lb bag for about $3 from my local Kroger in the health food section, If you don't want to use it, omit the flaxseed and the water, but you shouldn't do that and here's why: flaxseed meal is awesome! In 2 T of flaxseed meal, there are 2.5g of polyunsaturated fat, 4g of dietary fiber (as much a 1 1/2c of cooked oatmeal), and 3g of protein, plus 1800mg of omega-3 fatty acids! Go get yourself some flaxseed meal today!

This is the doubled recipe:

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup Splenda (the original recipe calls for white sugar, but I haven't tested that)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp flaxseed meal
2 Tbsp water
3 cups almond flour*
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

*I get my almond flour from Costco. It's the Honeyville brand, and is sold in 3lb bags. This is really the only recipe we use almond flour for, and it's worth every penny to keep it on hand.

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 375 and grease two baking sheets.
2. In a large mixer, cream together the Splenda and butter.
3. Gradually beat the eggs,vanilla, flaxseed meal, and water into the butter and Splenda mixture.
4. Add the almond flour, salt, and baking soda and mix well.
5. Add the chocolate chips and mix just enough to distribute them evenly.
6. I use a 1 1/2 Tbsp disher (thanks, Lulu!) to portion out the dough onto a greased cookie sheet, then gently flatten the balls to about 1/2" thick since they don't flatten much on their own. The original recipe calls for portioning into 1-inch balls.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes until the cookies have browned slightly. (They won't brown much if you're using Splenda, but a quick shot with cooking spray before putting them in the oven will help somewhat.)

If you make these, let me know how they turn out!

Comments

Popular Posts