Astle's Tortillas


Whenever I make Mexican food, I make up a batch of Melissa Astle's world-famous tortillas. Little Mike calls them "yum yum bread." And she is correct when she claims that they are way better than store-bought!

I have used flour ranging from 100% white to 100% freshly-ground whole wheat in this recipe with good results. I always use butter-flavored Crisco.

I weigh each tortilla at 2 oz (plus or minus .1 oz), for consistency in size. I roll using either a traditional or a French rolling pin, and a silicone baking mat.

I cook two to three at a time using an electric griddle set at 375F, and store them in a heavy plastic tortilla warmer until its time to eat.

http://melissaastle.blogspot.com/2008/05/tortilla-tutorial.html

Comments

frizzlefry said…
Thanks for the nod! I'm going to try the whole wheat butter ones. I bet it's a lot like a pita in flavor.
Yum Yum!
Brig said…
Do you have a pita recipe too, Frizz?

Popular Posts