100 Pushups - Week 2 Day 2

I did day 2 yesterday, July 3rd, but went to bed right afterward and didn't blog it until today...but I had some time to reflect on my progress so far. More on that later.

So the program for yesterday was 16, 13, 11, 11, and max > 15. I managed to tackle it, but this was the first time that I maxed out at the minimum max, if that makes sense. When I hit 15 on that last set, I was . I couldn't get another push up, and I was struggling to even get to 15. I'm a bit nervous about Day 3, and even more nervous about next week when the first set on Day 1 is 25--4 more than my initial max. The plan's creator, Steve Speirs, mentioned that just finished week 3, and is going to repeat it because he struggled with it. So my 6 week plan may become 7...or 8. Or more, depending. But I fully intend to get to 100 consecutive push ups.

Why? I'm not sure. I've been wondering about that since yesterday's set, and I think it has to do with making goals. I used to work out with a guy from work. We'd bench press 2-3 times a week, and I'd do pull ups and sit ups, too. But when he left, I didn't really have anyone pushing me at the gym any more. I've been going to the gym with my coworker, Roberta, but we do different things at the gym at different levels with different goals. Actually, as I implied, I don't really have much of a workout goal anymore, which is why I think I've been rather lacking in motivation.

But when I found the hundred pushups site through Reddit, I was intrigued. It's a short-term goal, it seems difficult but not too difficult (maybe I'm fooling myself, but I'd like to think that I can do it!) and it doesn't involve running or specialized equipment. (I've got a neurological problem in my left foot that makes it go numb or shoot pain up my leg if I run for very long.)

So this new goal has kinda given me a shot in the arm, so to speak. And anything that'll get me motivated to exercise is good, I think. Oh, and I tried on a T-shirt today that was a leftover from Scout Camp. I thought I grabbed my large, but it was the leftover medium and I pulled it on without realizing it. Well, it was a bit tight, but it fit...it fit rather well, if I do say so myself. It emphasized my chest which, although not large, is not the chicken chest it was 15 years ago. It was noticeable enough that my wife commented on it, which was nice. Maybe I'll keep going a while on this push up thing. :)

Comments

Popular Posts