Week one, day one of my hundred push ups goal went okay, but worse than I expected. I was scheduled to do the following sets: 10, 10, 8, 6, and max (but at least 10). Since I did 21 pushups on my initial test last week, I thought it would be a piece of cake--too easy, really. Guess what? I was wrong.
The first set of 10 wasn't bad at all; in fact, I had to tell myself to take it slowly and pace it better. Then a 60 second rest. The second set of 10 was a bit more challenging than the first, but still not too tough. Then a 60 second rest.
The set of 8 was a lot harder than I thought 8 push ups could be! I struggled and strained to get them all in! Then a 60 second rest. The last set was almost as bad as the third set; I had trouble with 6 push ups. Unbelievable. I thought I'd never make the max goal of 10, but I eeked out 13 (just barely!) good form push ups. I may be in trouble towards the end of this week when I've got sets of 15, 13, 10, 10, and max > 15.
Having just completed my first round felt great. My blood was pumping, my arms were noodle-ish, and my chest felt tight--not heart attack tight, more like "flexing muscles" tight. Maybe next week I'll take my shirt off and do these right before I go to bed...we'll see what Kara thinks of that.