Apple Dumplings

While we were at the farm this weekend, we bought a small bag of Gala apples. I was plotting their cullinary demise from the moment I laid eyes on them. The first batch succumbed to my recipe for Apple Dumplings. I was going to make an apple coffeecake too, but I don't think I have enough apples. No swooning girls for me, I guess. I know, it's so sad.

Apple Dumplings

Prep
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel and core 6 apples--I used Gala apples.

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2 cups water

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup shortening (I used butter-flavored Crisco)
1/2 cup milk (I used 1/4 cup milk, 1/4 cup apple cider)

6 small apples, peeled and cored
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg

Directions
For syrup, in a saucepan combine 1 1/2 cups sugar, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, and 2 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in butter. Set aside.

Combine flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Cut in shortening till mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add milk all at once; stir just till all is moistened. Form into a ball. On a floured surface roll out into an 18 x 12 inch rectangle; cut into six 6-inch squares. Place an apple in the center of each square. Sprinkle apple generously with a mixture of 1/3 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon and nutmeg; dot with additional butter. Moisten edges of dough; fold corners to center atop apple. Pinch the edges together.

Place in a 13x2x9 inch baking dish. Pour syrup over dumplings. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 45 minutes or until apples are tender.

Comments

Popular Posts