Best Dump Cake Ever!

Tonight, I made Apricot Chicken Divine, so I thought I'd do a dutch oven dessert to keep in the theme. I picked up a few ingredients for a dump cake while I was at the store today, and with a few shoot-from-the-hip embellishments, a masterpiece was born!

Cherry Dump Cake Especial
I made this in a 12" dutch oven in my kitchen oven. Make it outdoors if you wish...it'll still be great.

Ingredients
2 21 oz. cans cherry pie filling
1 18.25 oz box yellow cake mix
4 Tbsp butter or margarine, cut into 1/2 to 1/3 Tbsp pats
8 Tbsp (4 oz) cream cheese, cut into 1/2 to 1/3 Tbsp pats
About 10 oz. Dr. Pepper (Yes, use Dr. Pepper. It has cherry overtones that really complement the cherry pie filling! Some other soda would be okay...I guess, but wouldn't make this especial.)

Directions
Preheat either your oven or your dutch oven to 350 degrees F.

I use foil when I make dump cake. You are free to foil or not, whichever direction your conscience carries you. From there, dump in the 2 cans of pie filling and smooth out with a spoon. Dump on the cake mix and smooth out with a spoon. Sprinkle on the butter and cream cheese evenly over the top. Drizzle the Dr. Pepper evenly over the top and mix the soda into the cake mix gently with a fork.

Bake, covered, for 45 - 60 minutes. (Okay, so I just let it bake then took it out when it smelled done. I told you I was from the hip.)

Next time, I might add the full cube of cream cheese (all 8 oz.), but besides that, I wouldn't change a thing.

Comments

Brig said…
By the way, that's homemade vanilla ice cream nestled beside that cake. Yum!
Eric said…
Looks delicious, I'll have to try it! I'm always looking for some excuse to ingest Dr. Pepper, I think this might pass muster in my wife's opinion. Thanks for emphasizing it.

Popular Posts